There’s no place like home. Our homes are the safe haven to which we retreat from the chaos and noise of the world. 

Unfortunately, many people are unknowingly at risk of being fatally poisoned or infected by dangerous substances at home. These dangers aren’t always loud or visible; they can gradually cause severe detriment to your health over time. Therefore, it is important to educate yourself on these dangers. Be proactive and diligent with your home’s health and safety to protect you and your loved ones.

Carbon Monoxide Can Poison Your Bloodstream

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas produced by combustion. Appliances that burn wood, charcoal, or fuel need to be ventilated to prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide. Inhaled at high levels, carbon monoxide will lead to weakness, nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulty, or loss of consciousness. A deadly mistake can be caused by a single flame or a snooze. A cigarette or candle that is left unattended can spread into an uncontrollable fire that not only causes burns to people and property but also the accumulation of carbon monoxide.

It is extremely important to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home and to ensure that you have a power supply for it, even in the event of a power outage. 

A Man Sitting on the Couch

Mold Can Exacerbate Existing Allergies And Immune Issues

Mold is a type of fungus that produces airborne spores. The presence of moisture in wood or fabric is the most common cause of mold. Mold is usually visible and has a detectable smell. It can enter the home through doors, windows, cooling and heating systems, as well as through pets and people entering the home. 

The Centers For Disease Control and Prevention states that some studies “suggested a potential link of early mold exposure to development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development […].”

Mold can be addressed by eliminating the excess moisture from the home, as well as any objects the mold has spread to. Mold can be removed with safe commercial products made for household use, soap and water, or bleach. Do not mix bleach with ammonia and always read the directions and safety disclaimers of cleaning products prior to use.

Pests Can Cause Structural Damage To Property

Pests love to infest human homes. In the cold of winter, pests love to sneak into homes for warmth and shelter as well as access to food sources. 

One of the most common pests in the United States is the termite. Termites cause billions of dollars worth of damage each year nationwide, which is why it is highly recommended to hire professional pest control for inspection and extermination.

Homeowners are treating their homes through a professional termite extermination company in Glendora, where termites are rampant. Termites can be prevented through annual inspections. A trained eye will be able to detect warning signs such as discarded wings and mud tubes, as well as the hollow sound of floors and walls. If termites are detected, the professional exterminator can then determine if the infestation requires localized, spot treatment, or tent fumigation. 

If you have concerns about your home being infested by termites, you can give Grand Oaks Termite & Pest Control Inc a call today.

Grand Oaks Termite & Pest Control Inc